My family and I have been contemplating a decision for YEARS. So, it struck me as a face-palm moment when I saw a post in a coaching forum asking for "impactful questions for decision making with clients."
(How is it that we can help others but have a hard time applying that help to ourselves?)
Decision making is one of the most frequent focus areas of coaching sessions. That's because coaching is designed to help clients be in a place of awareness and choice so that they are empowered to live consciously and intentionally.
So, here are a few of my favorite questions donated by others in that aforementioned forum. Coach with me or coach yourself through simple reflection on your answers.
- What are the most critical goals you want to achieve with this decision?
- What are the potential risks or challenges associated with each option?
- How will this decision align with your long-term vision and values?
- What alternatives have you considered? Why did you discard them?
- What is your gut feeling about each option, and why do you think that's the case?
- What is the cost of not making the decision?
And, if you were stranded on a desert island this question is the one question you'd want to take with you.
Because we know more truth than we allow ourselves to surface.
When we strip away the muddy noise of pleasing others, sticky cobwebs of analysis, and foggy weight of "what-if's"...
We can answer the question, "What do you REALLY want".
So, this week, I ask you (and give you safety to say your truth): What do you REALLY want?