So often we focus on the event.
Rarely do we think about, talk about, imagine…the what-comes-after.
The what-comes-after is the…
- correction of mistakes
- the thank-you note
- the follow-up on promises made
- the feedback that helps make improvements
We take a long journey to get to the view. And, then, apparently, we take a photo and check the box.
Although, we’d never travel across the country to see the Grand Canyon and not tell anyone.
Yet, in so many other aspects of our lives, that’s what we do.
The event is not the end.
- The training session on fostering inclusion in our workplace is just the beginning.
- The advice received from a mentor is only the start.
- The off-putting conversation with a colleague is simply an invitation to try again.
Let’s stop living as if the what-comes-after doesn’t exist.
Instead, let’s visualize what-comes-after before we even start.